The village of Modrovka and the Tematín castle are situated in the mountains of Považský Inovec. The earliest settlements appeared in the Upper Palaeolithic. In the age of Great Moravia there existed hill-forts and also a grave was found in Modrovka. The land was managed by a magnate from the nearby Kostolec until the 11th century, when it became a part of Hungarian Kingdom.
The Tatar invasion of the Váh region in 1241 forced Belo IV. to built guarding castles on strategically important locations- and this was the reason why Tematín was built. At the end of the 13th century the castle belonged to the possessions of Matúš Csak of Trenčín, the Lord of Váh and Tatras. After his death it belonged to Charles Robert, the king of Hungary. Louis I. (1342-1382) donated the castle to Mikuláš Tóth (Kont), the county administrator of Tekov. In the donation document from 1348 the village Modrovka was mentioned for the first time as alia Madro- (meaning the other Modrová). It originates in the Latin word mador-dry, because this region has always been dry and swampy and the word madro was used by the Italian immigrants, who came there in the 12th century.
In 1452 a portal list was made (portal was a gate through which a fully loaded wagon could pass). The largest town with 52 portals was Piešťany and the smallest one was Modrovka with 5 portals and approximately 100 inhabitants (Modrová had 10 portals and circa 150 inhabitants). In 1524 Tematín was given to Alexej Thurzo as a guarantee from Louis II. The document contains names Themethwen and Kysmodroh. Stanislav Thurzo won the Dominion in 1614 as the last living member of the Thurzo brothers. He reconstructed the castle and equipped the garrison. His son Michal died in 1636. With Michal´s death the dynasty of Thurzo died out.
In 1663 a new war against the Ottomans burst out. After the capitulation Modrová and Modrovka were integrated into the Ottoman Empire. In the second half of the 17. century the owners of the Tematín dominion removed to the nearby villages where they built manor houses- Moravany, Lúka, Brunovce.
The co-owner of the castle was Count Mikuláš Berčéni (Bercsényi), a general, administrator of the Ung County. He had been preparing an anti-Habsburg complot with Ferenc II. Rakoczy. Their plan was revealed, but Berčéni managed to escape from Brunovce to Poland in 1701. The rebels gave up in spring 1711, but Rakoczy and Berčéni rejected the amnesty of Emperor Joseph I. and they chose exile. In 1715 they lost all their possessions. In 1716 Berčéni went to Turkey where he fought as the leader the kuruc army near the town of Oršov. In 1720 he joined the emigrants in Tekirdag, where he died.
In 1715 another land register was made. 26 families lived in Modrovka, the local mill earned 20 golden ducats every year. Modrovka had more inhabitants than Modrová (it happened just once in their history) and all of them were of Slovak origin. The landlords in Modrovka were Adalbert and Karol Šándor. In 1775 Modrovka became the possession of Zerdaheli and Motešický families.
At the beginning of the 19th century people lived in extreme poverty, because the country was burdened with the Napoleonic wars, which fortunately ended in 1815. A flood of the river Váh in 1813 damaged the fields in Modrovka. The heavy rains in autumn 1826 or the heavy storm in 1827 had a devastating effect on the quality of life, which was not high. The census in 1828 brought following numbers: 17 houses with 23 families, together 97 inhabitants. The numbers started to increase and in 1822 there were 205 people and six years later even 258 inhabitants. In 1866 seven people were infected with cholera and died. Count Kurt Zedtwitz (3. 10. 1822- 19. 11. 1909) of Moravany and Doupov became the owner of the Tematín possessions in the 60´s of the 19. century. They belonged to him until the reforms of the first Czecho-Slovak Republic. The names Modrová and Modrovka were officially adapted in 1927.